Thursday 2 January 2014

Evolving Mindsets

 
In Pursuit of Passion

When I look back over my working career, there are a few instances that stand out where my mindset was totally different compared to today. While I do admit to being a rather nostalgic fellow, many of these memories serve as motivation, inspiration or even justification of my present pursuits.

I was reminded of this the other day after completing the excellent book "Domestique," co-written by Charly Wegelius and Tom Southam. "Domestique" documents the life of Wegelius in his pursuit of a professional cycling career: it is basically a "warts-and-all" account of his battle to enter the pro ranks as well as the challenge of staying there. Needless to day that it is a really entertaining read and gives credence to the cliche of "a book that you cannot put down."

It is perhaps interesting and telling how Wegelius' mindset and attitude to his professional evolves over his time in the paid ranks. Starting out big at the legendary Team Mapei (where no expense is spared), he then experiences a few years of seeming purgatory riding for a small, insular and rather haphazard outfit where daily survival and self-sufficiency are the recurring themes. After a few hard-knocks in the form of irregular blood values and intra-team politics, he gradually finds peace and his place in a respectable Italian outfit where he is valued and respected. The fact that he ends his career off with another big-budgeted team where he endures ill health and poor health is rather telling as his mindset appears to have changed completely; he is thinking of things beyond cycling and his true place in the world.


I can vividly remember many a slothful weekday at one of my less-than-inspiring jobs where myself and a former colleague would chat about our dream jobs. Whilst my mind was definitely elsewhere during those particular three years, the stifling environment did actually sow the seed for many of my future adventures – I just didn't realise it at the time. Most of my buddy and my own "moonlighting" at that stage involved odd jobs within the same and/or related industries. That seemed logical at the time given we both aspired to earn enough money to buy our own small properties; rather the industry you know than the one you don't if you want to succeed. But I couldn't help but admire the various entrepreneurs that I came into contact with who seemingly had "fingers in several pies" so to speak. Variety intrigued me and I often wondered just how I could emulate these individuals in my own unique way.

After changing jobs and gradually getting into the realm of cycling team assistance in a part-time/hobby capacity, I realised that there was a whole world of opportunity out there; I just needed to find the right sort of template that would fulfil my personal ambitions. It has taken several years to realise and implement, but I can honestly say that I am truly living my dream in the sense that the variety I had aspired to almost a decade ago is now a reality. It just took time.

One of these extra-curricular "variations" is this blog. After suffering a cycling accident in mid-2011 and suffering some broken bones, I decided to pursue my love of writing in a more public domain. I had been writing athlete interviews in a Q&A form for a local cycling blog but wanted to expand my horizons into a platform of my own. Over the past few years, this blog has gradually evolved from the initial goal of personal training site into a more of an esoteric and essay-driven mouthpiece of all things athletic. If I had to describe the content of this blog in a phrase, it could be a database of training information and advice crafted into story-like essays peppered with a healthy dose of personal experience and anecdotes. Definitely a departure from the usual "how-to" and news sites that are part and parcel of the modern day. More useful "raconteuring" as opposed to facts, facts and more facts.

I recently read a great interview with one of the more unusual members of the peleton, the Australian Adam Hansen. Incidentally, Hansen rides for the same World Tour team that Wegelius rode for pre-retirement. The article profiles the articulate Antipodean who embarked on a cycling career after many years working as a computer programmer. Whilst he finished all three Grand Tours in 2013, Hansen maintains an interest in a couple of business ventures, one of which involves the construction of his own unique carbon cycling shoe. Added to the fact that he is well known for publishing entertaining photo diaries of his teammates and he chooses to live in the Balkans (not exactly a hotbed for pro-riders), you have a true individualist who pursues his passions however diverse they may seem. A case of living the dream and having a balance amid the backdrop of one of the hardest and all-consuming sporting professions around.

Charly Wegelius is has moved on from being a rider to that of successful sporting director, and one of the youngest in the sport of cycling at that. It seems that he has found his true metier and is applying his decades of cycling experience into innovative and winning tactics for his riders on the road. Now married with a child, he seems content with his place in the world, as is illustrated in one of the images that adorn "Domestique." I guess it just takes a while to work it all out.