Tuesday 27 May 2014

Dr. John Hellemans Interview


Cultural influences, coaching the coaches and Kiwi passion.

Endurance sports attract people from all walks of life, especially at the top level. Whether athlete or coach, the individuals that make up a sport like triathlon are perhaps one of its greatest assets.


In the world of high-performance, Dr. John Hellemans stands out. A medical doctor who hails from the Netherlands, John has spent much of his adult life resident in New Zealand. Perhaps more interesting is that he is one of those rare individuals who has had great success both as an elite athlete and high-performance coach, sometimes simultaneously.


In the following Q&A, John discusses the intricacies of ITU-racing, athletic longevity as well as providing some great insight into the iconic Kiwi athlete Erin Baker.


Nature Gym: As the manager of the Dutch National Triathlon squad, what does your job entail? What are the greatest challenges that you experience my fulfilling such a position?

John Hellemans: The Dutch had set up a centralized programme in 2009 and struck some difficulty with personnel and implementation and they asked for my assistance in 2010. Being of Dutch descent I decided to take up the challenge. My main job was to structure the programme as being coach lead, athlete centered, supported by expert personnel and facilitated by the Technical Director (High Performance Director). It is the ideal model but it only works if everyone, including the coaches and athletes buy into it.

My own position was that of National Coach and as such I worked closely with the TD. One of my tasks was to get a couple of athletes to London and we managed to do that. Maaike Caelers and Rachel Klamer came out on top after a brutal qualification trajectory. By the time they qualified there was no time to get them in peak fitness again so the results at the London Olympics were disappointing.

My third main responsibility was to train some other coaches in the programme. They were very capable already but had to make the jump to coaching at International level.

Following the London Olympics I have handed the athletes gradually over to the other coaches. I have reduced my responsibilities and reverted to a part-time capacity.

My job with the Dutch programme is officially coming to an end in July 2014.

NG: Talk about the evolution of the ITU circuit and the athletes over the years. Are there any fundamental changes that you have observed in the physiology and mindset of the athletes competing on the World Cup circuit in the late nineties in comparison to those nowadays?

JH: The biggest change is the intensity of racing. Allowing drafting in the late nineties has changed the nature of the sport. Initially I was opposed to this change but now I can see that it had to happen. It has taken some of the honesty and individualism out of the sport but it has added intrigue and entertainment. You need to be a special type of athlete to be able to cope with the uncertainties and pressures which go with the WTS type of racing.

Being included in the Olympic Games has propelled our sport into the main stream sports and the current format seems ideally suited to the Olympics considering its popularity. The depth of competition at elite level has therefore increased enormously.

NG: Many ITU competitors are members of training squads, which spend extended periods together in a training camp environment between races. What are your thoughts on the increased emergence of coached training groups over the last decade? Any pros and cons?

JH: It comes with the territory of our sport having become truly professional. Training full time and as part of a squad with similar level athletes will result in improvement. Being challenged on a daily basis can have its downside and therefore it needs to be managed well. Training in a group environment is not for every athlete.

At home there are plenty of distractions so travelling away for training camps in optimal training environment makes sense. Periods of “train, eat, sleep, repeat” are essential in the development of most athletes if they want to reach their maximum potential,

Interesting is the development of squads which contain athletes of different countries, coached by a “neutral” coach. This seems to have come out of the fact that national squads do not always function well because of personality conflicts and intense competition within the squad.

Most professional triathletes have back to back seasons which include much travel;  spending a winter in another hemisphere for optimal training has become the norm.

NG: With your extensive athletic and coaching background together with you being a medical doctor, what steps can a professional triathlete take to optimize his or her athletic longevity?

JH: This is an interesting question. I foresee shorter lifespans for the international athletes as the depth of competition has increased exponentially over the years.

To keep up athletes tend to train harder, especially in relation to intensity, this is difficult to maintain in the long run.

You can extent your career by conservative periodization including picking your races carefully. It is my opinion that many of the elite athletes race too much. This will likely shorten their career, especially if much travelling is involved as well.

A lot of what I do as a coach is holding athletes back in training and racing, main priority is ease of movement, achieved through focus on technique and careful planning.

The other key components besides training athletes have control over is their nutrition and mental attitude. Both of these factors need as much attention as training. For some it comes easier than for others. As an athlete you need to know what your weaknesses are and be prepared to work on those.

NG: You competed at an elite level in triathlon well into your forties, including some impressive results against the top professionals of the era. Talk about your elite triathlon career as an athlete. Were you ever a full time sporting professional given your medical qualifications?

JH: I took up triathlon at the ripe old age of 29, was an accomplished swimmer and had always done some running as part of my overall conditioning. Every Dutchman can ride a bike, so triathlon was made for me. When I started off I was accomplished in all 3 disciplines unlike my opposition who came from other sports and often had a weak discipline I could take advantage off. This kept me competitive for quite some time.

I competed as an elite off and on till my late thirties. I always combined it with a busy medical practice and a young family. I was able to do this by having plenty of breaks in between races, thereby extending my career. I took 3 months off prior to the Commonwealth Games held in Auckland in 1990 and promptly over-trained.

I admit that generally my work and other commitments have stopped me from over-training too much. Sometimes I wonder if I could have done better by taking more risk and pushing a bit harder in training.

NG: For a small country, New Zealand continues to produce an impressive amount of world class endurance athletes. What is it about New Zealand that contributes to this continued success over many decades?

JH: It is mainly a cultural thing. New Zealand embraces sport. When I arrived in New Zealand, I observed how they played sport and thought immediately “ah, that is how you do it!” I was pretty fortunate to have a chance to put the passion and toughness they put into sport into practice in my triathlon career.

The trademark of New Zealanders sportsmen and women are toughness and passion. That gets them a long way. The Dutch in contrary are more analytical and structured. I have never been able to integrate the Dutch structure and analytical approach into the Kiwi high performance programme and in the last few years I have struggled to install the Kiwi toughness and passion into the Dutch. Cultural influences remain too strong.

The rivalry with big brother Australia is also a huge motivator.

Sport is big part of the school curriculum. In many countries as a school student if you want to play sport you join a club. In New Zealand you can do it via school programmes, which are generally very good and also encourage competition.

NG: What are your thoughts about top athletes becoming coaches upon retirement from competition? How would you advise a newly-retired professional athlete wanting to step into the role of high-performance coaching?

JH: It is a good thing as they bring a wealth of experience with them. They know what it takes.

Their biggest pitfall is their wanting to train the athletes the way they trained. It is very ingrained and against their nature to embrace other training methods which might be more suitable for some of the athletes they coach. It takes a lot of confidence to be able to step back, and learn that there are many ways which lead to success. That is where they need to develop additional skills and learning. They have to learn to become part of a team also, even a leader of the team, which takes special qualities which they often still have to learn.

Every coach needs a coach. A coach can benefit hugely from having a mentor.

NG: You have worked with many top athletes over the years, one of the most notable being the legendary Erin Baker. Talk about your years coaching and mentoring Erin; what made her so special?

JH: That is a long story; one day I will write about it in more detail. Suffice to stay that Erin would have made it if she was coached by a doorknob. She was driven and tough with a lot of emotions, which needed to be channeled into her training and racing at times. That is the area, looking back, where I probably added some value. Otherwise we were partners in crime. We had lots of fun experimenting with triathlon specific training sessions. She knew very quickly what worked and what did not. She was well ahead of her opposition because of her preparedness to push the boundaries with her training and she was totally committed to the cause. She had an uncanny vision of where triathlon was going to go in the future. This was in a time that triathlon was still wild, with no world championships and governing bodies.

NG: What has been the key to your continued athletic success and your own longevity, given that you still compete as top amateur? Is your mindset and approach any different now than twenty five years ago?

JH: I have generally stuck to more conservative training guidelines, not taking too much risk. I have always performed well on 4 sessions per discipline per week; the bulk of my training has been done at aerobic pace, even more so while I am getting older. These days I am doing little or no high intensity work bar the odd race.

I am a Lydiard disciple believing in consistency in volume and in strength endurance, so plenty of hills. Both are also good for longevity in sport.

I do not work out in the gym. I do not think that is specific enough and do not want to compromise any of my swim, bike or run sessions. I think it can add to injury risk.

I have mainly stuck to standard distance events; they do not take as much out of you and are easier to train for. I have done a couple of Ironman events and they have certainly knocked me around.

These days I train more for my health then for the competition. I am less worried about winning, am happy to just be there. However, I do need to keep doing the odd race as it motivates me to train/exercise.

I accept the ageing process and accompanying physical decline, though.

NG: With coaching and team management positions requiring extensive travel and working time, how do you keep yourself in shape while on the road and away from home?


JH: I tend to keep ticking over. I will join the athletes in training when and where I can. I am known to join in with the swim and bike recces prior to WTS events. It is not quality stuff but keeps me healthy. Generally I will do some exercise 5 or 6 days per week. These days it is much less structured and I take more note of the weather and adjust my training accordingly.