Tuesday 6 May 2014

Scott Molina's Home Gym

The Comrades Marathon, moderation and living with compromise

"I'm barely holding the old bones together! Doing my best to get there in one piece, which I can assure you is a lot of work."

Many former professional athletes become inactive upon retiring from top-level competition. While there are those who do maintain a basic level of fitness, Scott Molina stands out as an exception to this rule.

With a professional triathlon career spanning fifteen years as well as logging high volumes in the pool and on the track as a teenager, Scott continues to challenge himself with an impressive amount of training and racing for the sheer love of the activity. With participation in the upcoming Comrades Marathon next on his 2014 agenda, Scott gives a great insight into his current athletic motivations and compromises, proving that there is indeed life beyond elite sport.

Nature Gym: Scott, you have been quite active in 2014 as far as ultra-distance events are concerned, including participation in Ironman New Zealand this year. How was your buildup for that event and did your performance reflect your expectations?

Scott Molina: I had a pretty leisurely summer leading into a 1/2 Ironman in Wanaka in January and then picked up the training substantially for Ironman New Zealand in hopes of going around 10 hours. It was the 30th anniversary of the event and I won the first one which made me feel kinda old and creaky! I really wanted to be part of the event but if I’m going to a race then I’m going to be in it. I hate spectating endurance events I could be doing. But the main goal was to lay down some base for Comrades without running too much as I've had a 15-year history of doing big run build-ups only to blow to bits just prior to the event. So the Ironman went OK and I ran a 3:39 which was about 10 minutes slower than I wanted. I was happy to come away from that in good shape and get into the last 2 months of prep for Comrades.

NG: Explain your mindset in continuing to compete after having retired from professional sport two decades ago. What motivates you and how has your approach to endurance sport evolved since your initial “post-pro” days?

SM: The two things that keep me going now are vanity and loving the challenge of getting fitter in a variety of ways. I wish I could go through the process of getting fit for races without actually doing them as it’s the process I love. The events are often anti-climactic. I know I won’t go fast! but I at least want to look like I could if I “really” wanted to. Although I train about 18-22 hours/week most weeks, I’m always holding back on the toughest sessions whether that’s swim, bike, run or gym work. I’m very consistent and mostly moderate in my approach. Most sessions I do I really enjoy - that’s a big priority for me now. I also realize I don’t recover as quickly as I used to so I have way more easy sessions.

NG: Many former elite athletes go cold turkey on sport and become very unhealthy. If one looks at you and your fellow “Big Four” members, you all have remained active in your own way. Would you say that the current athletic activities of ST, Mark, Dave and yourself reflect on each of your respective personalities?

SM: I can’t speak for the others, but we've all kept in good shape from what I can see. I also think we have always regarded our good health as something that’s as important to us as our sporting success and I don’t think you could say that about many professionals athletes.

NG: The Comrades Marathon is on your 2014 agenda and is a massive event here in South Africa. Has this been something that you've wanted to do for a while? How did the event attract your interest?

SM: I was a total running nut when I was a kid and ran a tremendous amount from age 16-20 before I became a triathlon nut. My heroes in school were runners who ran a lot - I always admired that good work ethic. I ran a couple of marathons and a 50-miler before my 21st birthday. I won that 50-miler in 5:50 on a flat point-point course into a cyclone! Absolutely atrocious headwinds and rain the whole way. So I knew about Ultra-running and in Northern California where I grew up we had a tremendous ultra-community which I followed with interest.
So I knew of Comrades and always thought about it, but my tri career got in the way. Then 10 years of running injuries weakened my resolve to every get fit enough to run it decently. Then last year a friend of mine said he was going to do it and I figured that time is running out for me to even think about it, so I got my ass in gear and committed to the work necessary to do the training and stay healthy.

NG: Have you ever visited South Africa before? Talk about the various South Africans that you came into contact with during your pro career?

Scott: Never been there. And I've only met a few S. African athletes, mostly runners who came through Boulder. Mark Plaatjes (PJ) comes to mind as I met him in Boulder when I lived there. Don’t know if Simon Lessing is South African but I've had a lot of laughs with him.

NG: Almost 90km on asphalt is hard on the body, not to mention the hilly terrain. Describe your preparation for this event as well as your expectations. Have you participated in any road running ultras before?

SM: I mentioned the first one I did 34 years ago. Also did UltraMan in Kona in ’86 I think and that was a hell of a suffer-fest. My prep for this Ultra is mostly based on the Silver Medal plan from the website with input from a few people who have run it. I've also added my own cycling and gym work into it to reduce the run volume a little to reduce the risk of injury. I’m not going to be over-trained or injured! (he says while touching wood ……) That’s the main objective. I did a 50km race in 4:11 on April 27 when I was hoping to run 60km in total but had suffered enough! I know it’s going to hurt but I've been building up the total amount of vertical most weeks as well as torturing them in the gym to get my quads ready. I’ll do what I can and am pretty good at putting up with discomfort.

NG: What steps have you taken to maintain your athletic longevity? How would you rate your overall health and fitness now compared to the rest of the period post 1995?

SM: I just really enjoy working out so I keep doing it. It’s that simple. I've had long periods of months when I couldn't run, but I could still lift, swim, ride, paddle my kayak so I've always had enough to satiate my need for training. I also spend about $2,000/year on massage as well as take bucket-loads of anti-oxidants, glucosamine, you name it.

NG: Talk about your coaching athletes and how your advisory principles have evolved over the years.

Scott: I started out working with elites a lot with some age groupers. Now I work exclusively with age groupers, mostly over age 40 and up to age 73. So the emphasis of my work is now more focused on health and enjoyment through endurance sport rather than performance. For older athletes improved performance always follows a sustained period of good health and training. I still spend a lot of time helping athletes work through injuries though.

NG: What are your thoughts on the increasing minimalist running and paleo movement, especially given that both trends are not exactly new?

SM: I think we’ll see both trends gradually fade away as they aren't sustainable. Distance running for many years speeds the wearing out of the fat pads in our feet and minimalist shoe padding when running long distances speeds it up even more. The combination of ageing, long distance running and no padding under our feet when running is a very bad combination. As for Paleo, I think we’ll see long-term health is better for most people with a plan-based diet. And that’s not bringing into the discussion what’s better for the planet. Meat’s expensive as well. I love it, can afford it and eat a lot of it but I know it’s not optimal for me. Same for booze! There are a lot of contradictions in my life and I see it often in other endurance athletes who want good health. We’re battling our vices all the time and we often look for answers and justifications that allow us to live with compromise.

NG: What are you plans for the rest of 2014?

SM: I’m having a good rest in June! Then back to a more balanced Triathlon training program to get ready for my Epic Camp in August in the Canadian Rockies, then focusing on bike racing until December, then triathlon again in summer and back to bike racing again next autumn. I like to have a plan for at least a year ahead. That helps me to keep it rolling and not become a drunken sloth. Once I turn 80 I’m going to become a single malt expert, play lots of golf, smoke some stuff and stay happy until the grim reaper comes for me.