Thursday 25 August 2011

Kevin Richards - Musings of a 'Waterman.'

                                     
Adjusting to life after elite sport, SA beach culture and "moering" the competition

“It is someone to whom the ocean is central to life,” responded Kevin Richards when asked for his definition of the term 'Waterman.'

This description certainly befits Richards, to whom the ocean and watersports in general have been a great influence on his lifestyle since his formative years as a nipper.

Now residing in Bournemouth, England, former Springbok swimmer and triathlete Richards kindly agreed to an interview about adjusting to life after elite sport, SA beach culture and the benefits of watersports for youngsters.

Nature Gym: As an elite sportsman, what influenced your decision to retire from top-level competition? Was it an easy decision?

Kevin Richards: I don’t think it’s ever an easy decision for any sportsman to retire, when they have been dedicated to a sport for a long time.

For me it was a combination of factors that influenced my decision to retire. By 1995, sponsorship was largely drying up, making travelling and competing very expensive, but I was also starting to quietly question my commitment to top level racing. I was becoming too content, for example, when racing in Europe; to comfortably finish ‘in the money’ rather than be bothered about ‘laying it all on the line’ and going for the win.

Something else also happened in ’95 which further convinced me that perhaps it was time to quit. In an effort to try and re-ignite my ‘desire’ to win I targeted SA Champs held that year in Mossel Bay as a ‘must win’ race. I threw everything at preparing for that race and in the month leading up to the race I was smashing personal bests in both the pool and on the road. My preparations could not have gone better! Then a couple of days before the race I developed a sore throat. I tried my best to ignore it and hide it from everybody, but by the time I lined up for the start, I felt like sh*t.

For the first time in my career I struggled to shake the pack on the swim and when my handle bars broke early on in the bike leg.....I kind of felt like ‘someone’ was sending me a message!

It was hard to come to terms with at first.

I remember Raynard Tissink making a comment to me at the prize-giving..something about it being time for the ‘new-generation’. As much as I didn't appreciate his comment at the time...turned out he was right.

NG: Upon retirement, did you have any immediate plans of what you were going to do with your life? How hard was it to adjust?

KR: I had no immediate plans. Fortunately for me; stepping up to Ironman racing wasn't the career option back then as it is now because I would probably have been tempted and would have been crap at it.

Instead, I decided to get as far away from the sport as possible and joined up as crew on a yacht. I spent 5 months first crossing the Atlantic and then cruising the Carribean islands. It was one of my better decisions.

Adjusting to retirement from triathlon wasn't too hard. Adjusting to retirement from swimming some years before had been weird.

When you’re at the top of your game; life is easy; everyone is your ‘mate’ and people fall over themselves to do things for you. When you retire and no longer make headlines; you quickly go from ‘hero to zero’. Most of your so-called ‘mates’ disappear (or move onto the next hot-shot) and the adoration evaporates. You are left with something of a vacuum in your life.

I was a lot younger when I quit top level swimming and I found that experience to be tough. However, I was ready for it when I quit triathlon.

NG: Many top athletes become complete "couch-potatoes" after retirement. Did you stay fairly active or take a complete break from all exercise?

KR: Becoming a ‘couch-potato’ was never really an option. I was always active outside of swimming and triathlon anyway. Surfing is my passion and I spent a lot of time since retirement chasing waves all over the country and all over the world.

I still surf as often as I can now and also paddle a surf-ski and do open-water swims. Exercise for me now is way less regimented and forms part of my lifestyle. I’m always doing some form of exercise, but what it is, is usually dependent on sea conditions!

NG: It is clear that you have a true love for the sea and water sports. Could you give the reader an insight into your formative years as part of the 1980s South African beach culture?

KR: Yes, I have to be in or near the ocean as often as possible. Living away from it (I tried it once!) is simply not an option for me.

My involvement with the sea began at around 8 years of age when my older brother got me into surfing. I also joined Kings Beach Surf-lifesaving club as a nipper at the same age. The sheer enjoyment I got from being in the sea combined with an ability to swim pretty well, created an environment I could excel in.

The beach culture of the late seventies and the eighties was ‘insane’. Surf-lifesaving was a highly competitive environment populated by some of the most ‘hard-nosed’ competitors I ever had the privilege of competing against. Guys like Graham Hill, Julian Taylor (to name just two!) were not only top South African swimmers, but were also totally awesome surf swimmers. My memories of some national events are of radical surf-conditions, sharks, ‘rough and tumble’ surf swim starts; ‘gut wrenching’ finishes...and of course legendary after-parties!

Surfing, on the other hand, was my escape from the competitive world. If I wasn't swimming, or doing surf-lifesaving, I was surfing. I had different mates that I surfed with and I never got into the whole competitive surfing thing. It was all about hours and hours of fun.

My swimming coach at the time wasn't a fan of me spending too much time surfing..his theory was that it would ruin my stroke. He meant well; but I have no doubt that all the hours I spent paddling my surfboard had an enormous positive effect on my fitness and my feel for the water.

NG: What is your definition of a "Waterman"?

KR: A ‘waterman’ is someone to whom the ocean is central to life. Someone who actively pursues his passions both on and in the water and through time and through much trial and error excels in that environment.

He is not necessarily a champion at any one ocean sport, but is highly competent at a number of ocean endeavours. A waterman has a close association with the ocean; understands it moods; it’s ways; shows it respect and is concerned with it’s preservation.

The same applies to “Waterwoman”.

NG: Tell us about some of the legendary "Watermen" you have come into contact with over the years.

KR: I've met a few over the years. Julian Taylor (whom I mentioned earlier) is one that springs to mind and although I haven’t seen him for some time now, he always was a very competent waterman in my opinion. Recently he swam 20km along the Natal South Coast to raise money for charity...think about that!

I also knew a surf-lifesaver from East London called Jonny Woods. He was quite a bit older than me and built like the proverbial “brick sh*thouse”.

I’d heard of his exploits long before I first met him. Stories of him regularly spear-fishing alone off the 'sharky' coast around East London were legendary, but most legendary of all was the story of him paddling alone from Port Elizabeth to East London on a surf-ski. He paved the way for what is now considered to be the toughest surf-ski race in the world; the Southern Shamaal, held over the same route he paddled....unaided!

Jonny Woods was a Springbok lifesaver with a fearsome reputation. I recall him as a humble man of few words. I’ll never forget when I first made the Eastern Province Surf-Lifesaving team at the age of 14. Jonny was our team captain that year and the team talk he gave us prior to SA Interprovincials in Cape Town has stuck with me ever since:....”don’t worry about those other ‘fancy pants’ teams. Focus on what you have to do; go like hell and if anyone tries to ‘moer’ you out of the way...’moer’ them back”!

NG: Would you say that surf-lifesaving is an ideal sports "grounding" for youngsters?

KR: For sure. All kids are, of course, different and surf-lifesaving might not be to everyone’s liking. However, apart from the obvious physical benefits; it teaches youngsters about the ocean; it’s competitive and makes kids more confident in the sea. Above all that it’s great fun. 

NG: What advice would you give to parents who want their kids to be active?

KR: Find something the kid enjoys. To do this you’re probably going to have to try a number of different sports.

Once they have found something they enjoy and they feel they are relatively good at; actively show an interest and encourage them. Perhaps get them into group/club where they can meet and make friends with kids with similar interests.

There will be times when their enthusiasm will wane. That’s totally normal for kids; encourage them through these times. NEVER push them too hard.....and don’t let the coaches do so either!

NG: Being a UK resident, what is the surfing scene like over there?

KR: Surfing is extremely popular in the UK.

We’re fortunate to live right by the beach in front of a decent little beach-break. It’s perfect for my kids, who both surf, and provides just enough to keep me going. We also often travel to Devon and Cornwall where there are a lot of good quality surf breaks.

Unfortunately, as in most countries, the best waves occur in winter and winter in the UK gets seriously chilly! However, you do eventually get used to surfing in a lot of rubber!
Getting abroad from the UK is relatively easy too and we have some good, ‘sunny’, surf options a short flight away....we also spend every Easter in Jeffreys Bay, which is simply my favourite place on earth!

*Note: Thanks to Kevin for this great piece. For a more specific piece on his triathlon career, check out this 2010 interview.