Friday 20 March 2020

Lotte Koopmans

The Cycling Doctor

If there was a category for unique elite athletes, Lotte Koopmans would be a likely candidate, if not a leader. A regular fixture in mountain bike racing circles for some years now, Lotte competes in the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup as a pretty much self-funded privateer. Yes, that's right. While many envisage the international XCO circuit as a flashy travelling circus, there are several competitors who exist on the periphery of the top teams, those who pay their own way and organise their own passage, accommodation, nutrition and so on – and still compete at a high level.

Yet what sets Lotte apart is that she is a qualified medical doctor, and a practising one at that.


'I haven't met another doctor like myself so I guess I am unique,' says Lotte. 'But I like it! Honestly, though, neither medicine nor cycling were my passion from an early age; I started cycling after secondary school and I thought that entry into medical school would be too difficult. But I've always loved helping people.'

While the rigours of medical school were indeed tough, Lotte persevered with her studies. And then a chance to combine some working experience abroad with top class racing came along.

'I managed to get an opportunity to work and study and South Africa's Tygerberg Hospital,' she explains. 'The differences between a Dutch and South African hospital were a bit of a shock at first, but I quickly got used to it. I learnt so much there, and also wrote a paper on antimicrobial use in children. And the icing on the cake was being able to compete at the Stellenbosch World Cup that year.'

While racing at an elite level is both physically and mentally demanding, Lotte has the added dimension of eschewing conflict between her sporting and professional activities. And unsurprisingly, this means a lot of forward thinking and compromise.

'My training, and especially my racing, has to be carefully planned around my work,' says Lotte. 'And this extends to things like night shifts. I don't want to do a night shift before travelling to a World Cup for example. But I think a lot of doctors are 'athletes' in a sense too - they have to be at their best whilst maintaining balance. If I start thinking of the hospital whilst on the bike or vice versa, then I know I am too busy. Yes, it's a heavy schedule but I love it.'

And what about perspective? Does Lotte see things differently to her cycling peers?

'While I can't read the minds of other athletes, I do think my perspective is a little different. I wouldn't say that I'm more careful than others, but if I crash, I know what to check for before getting back on the bike. Also, observing the Hippocratic Oath means that I'm obligated to stop and help someone who is hurt from a crash. I've yet to experience this in a race but can't rule it out from happening in the future.'

With the world currently gripped by the coronavirus pandemic, hospitals are being stretched for resources and some countries are implementing total lock downs. And with sporting competition having ground to a halt, how has Lotte's lifestyle been affected?

'The sudden switch feels bizarre,' she says. 'For a while I felt more athlete than doctor but now I'm feeling totally "doctor". Here in the Netherlands, we are observing self-isolation, so I try to see as little people as possible. I don't want to fall ill as I have a responsibility to help others at the hospital. So for now, I'm working in a "non-corona" ward, although that might change should the need arise. I was shocked when I came into work last weekend – all the nightmare stories I heard were true. I think the next few weeks will be a very lonely time for most.

'As athletes, we shouldn't be training hard during this time,' she continues. 'Indoor trainers like Zwift are best, as is maintaining strength through a simple home exercise routine. It's all about maintenance during this time. Our natural immunity is so important, and hard training just breaks that down.'