Friday 17 April 2020

Tim DeBoom Today - Part 2

Of Social Media, Sunrise and Strength

'These days, I like to say that I will skip a run before I skip a strength workout. The endurance stuff is for my mental health and the weight work is for the actual health and longevity side of things.'
Tim DeBoom, April 2020.

Now in his late-forties, Tim still gets outside on a daily basis, his days starting with a run/hike up to a local mountain peak to inhale the sunrise. All of life's curveballs and puzzles can be solved above treeline. In the second part of conversation, Tim lets on about his disdain for social media, how his early-morning excursions shape his day, as well as why lifting heavy things is still an integral part of his exercise regimen.

Unlike many current and former pro athletes, you don't seem to have much of an online presence. What are the reasons for this?

Social media scares the crap out me! Seriously, I am a very private person for the most part. I have a very close, select group of friends. The idea of putting my life out there to people I don’t know at all does not appeal to me. I feel lucky to have raced during a time when social media was not prevalent. I probably would not have had any sponsors with the requirements athletes have in their contracts today. Besides, my wife is social enough for both of us!
You do have an Instagram account, however, which documents your morning runs with amazing photography. Talk about this authentic combination of both mountain running and photo-journalling, its origins and how your morning activities shape the rest of your day.

Instagram is the one medium that I have had a small presence, but it is a total love hate relationship. You can see proof of that by some of the extended hiatuses I have taken in posting. In fact, I am currently in the middle of a lengthy hiatus right now. I started posting a photo a day a long time ago simply as a photo journal for myself and closest friends. I had it private at first, but someone talked me into making it a public account. When I was racing full time, I didn’t ever want to interrupt my training sessions to take photos. I was focused on the task at hand. That doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate my surroundings. That’s one of the best things about endurance sports is being in the outdoors so much. These days, I enjoy capturing the places I run, ride, ski, and climb. I’ve actually done a couple shoots for some companies simply because I can get to places others can’t with just my own two legs. It’s fun to share the places I go and how I see the world around me when I am out doing the things I love. I can fall into the traps everyone probably does with social media and thats when I cut myself off. It’s a nice way to stay in touch with people around the world I never would otherwise, but it can be overwhelming sometimes. As for my morning activities shaping my day, I need to be outside almost first thing. I try to never miss the sunrise. It’s a powerful way to set myself up to have a great day. If I can be on top of a mountain when the sun is peaking up, then all the better. Whether I’m skiing, running, or riding, there really is nothing better. 
You continue to be a big proponent of strength training, especially for ageing athletes. Please give an insight into your own strength training regimen, as well as your opinion about the benefits of lifting heavy things for athletes in general.

I have used strength training since I was a high school swimmer. I used it through my entire professional career, and now even more as a retired pro. I would have probably even increased it more during my last few years of racing, knowing what I know now, and how my body has responded since I stopped. My last few years, I got leaner and leaner and had a hard time keeping weight on. I’ve always believed that Ironman racing was more about strength than pure speed. The older one gets, the more strength focused training they need. I have endurance for days, but strength and resiliency is just as important. These days, I like to say that I will skip a run before I skip a strength workout. I feel it’s that important. The endurance stuff is for my mental health and the weight work is for the actual health and longevity side of things. To any endurance athlete that questions whether they should do some kind of strength training, I would definitely advise to go throw around something heavy and work on mobility too. Swim, bike, run is so linear. Adding lateral stuff is very good for you.
In closing, you stand out as an ex-pro who is not literally on the "scrap heap" physically and mentally, so to speak. Would you say that you are in better all round health and shape now than you were as a pro triathlete?

I am still fit. I need exercise daily. I’ve been some kind of endurance athlete since I was six years old, and that doesn’t just end when your professional career does. It is probably a combination of love of sport and addiction. I am definitely healthier and more well rounded than during my racing days.  Winter is now for winter sports and summer for summer sports. My year does not revolve around Ironman and the month of October anymore. My philosophy now is that I want to be fit enough to do anything any of my buddies would ever ask me to do. The only issue with that philosophy is that I have some very fit friends who like big long adventures just like me.

All images courtesy of Tim DeBoom