Monday 3 August 2020

Running Sandals

Minimalist Comeback

While walking around barefoot has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, "minimalist" running has been a recurring, if inconsistent theme. Not for injury reasons (daily jogging shouldn't hurt) but more a case of lack of venues. The soccer fields near my home are now fenced off and driving to the beach at low tide is great, but not quite "out of the door". Sure, barefoot strides and sprints in the local greenbelt are great in summer time but I was looking for another way to incorporate minimalist running into my weekly regimen with little fuss.

Enter running sandals. Inspired by the likes of Cucuzzella, Budd, Rana et al., I recently decided to invest in a pair of Yeti running sandals to satiate my inner gazelle. So far. so good, I'm happy to report. Competing (read: participating) in middle distance running on the track early this year inspired me to improve my running form and fitness. And while I'm a long way away from justifying lacing up a pair of spikes, some happy sandal jogging is bound to add some spring into my stride.